Pages

Friday, July 30, 2010

Fabric panel dress



Initially I didn't know what I would do with this fabric but I just couldn't resist making McCalls 5423 again. This is the fourth time.  After the response to last week's dress I decided to add the same drape detail.


I wish I could have placed the front skirt in such a way that the design would be totally symmetric but the design is uneven and don't lend itself to symmetry unless I put a seam done the front--I'd rather not. 



The back is turning out better than I thought it would although I don't love the design in the center back of the bodice, but I can live with it. I just need to decide if I want a drape on the back neck or not. What do you think? I'm also not sure if that necklace is going to work. I have one that I'd think would be perfect but don't ask me where it is because I don't know!


BTW the fabric came from Walmart and was $2 per panel!

22 comments:

  1. I like the draping in the front, I am not sure about the draping in the back. The dress is pretty and the fabric is doing a happy danceeee

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how this dress it turning out. I really like the drape in the front, putting it in the back...not so much. I really like how you worked the design!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, I think a drape in the back would look nice and maybe take away from the print placement you're not crazy about, I also love it with that necklace. Could I talk you into getting me some of that fabric, I would be happy to pay shipping :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! I think the back looks unique....like it was meant to be that way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya I got the fabric several months ago. I have to go to Wal-mart this weekend and I will check for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another winner! Love the dress. Do we get pics with you in it? I know you'll have fab shoes to go with it too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice use of a border print! It looks great! I like the back drape as well. I usually shy away from heavy necklaces with a more busy neckline, but I actually think this one works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, it looks great...and 2 bucks...awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful fabric and great pattern. both perfect together. no wonder u like it. i'd say maybe drape the back as well? :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great piece of fabric! I'm liking the drape too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the pattern place of the drape in the front... it works so well with the dress! I think the back looks good either way.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the use of the border print in this dress -- really good placement of the pattern. It looks fab.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like the dress with the front drape, only. The back would add too much fabric and print. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that dress looks fantastic just as is. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous dress and love the neckline draping and like the dress the way it currently is. Great minds think alike, I used that same fabric to make a dress last year.

    ReplyDelete
  16. LOVE it, love it, love it!!

    The draping is awesome, front and back. You have such a great eye for beautiful fabric prints. I would love to see you modeling this dress with your pretty accessories :D

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love this version! $2 per panel at Wal Mart when my Wal Mart doesn't have fabric anymore is just cruel.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I want some of that fabric! You have made such good use of it!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Perfect pattern for this gorgeous fabric. Love, love it.

    ReplyDelete