Pages

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

I am such a goof and a pattern review

Sometimes I just crack myself up. Sunday while sewing the zipper in my slacks I hit the end stop and broke the needle. After I replaced the needle I automatically tried to use the automatic needle treader but it just kept banging against the zipper foot so I just threaded it manually. Later I noticed an annoying knocking whenever I sewed fast. I finished the slack and started on a top. I didn't have to change the thread because the color I needed was already on the machine. The spool ran out today so I had to finally rethread the machine. To my utter dismay my automatic needle threader isn't working. I fiddled around with it for about 45 minutes but was unable to fix it. I resorted to threading the needle the old fashioned way. After a couple hours and a break I tried again to fix the needle threader. Now I'm really starting to sweat because it's an electronic and the local service center wants $150 just to look at it. More fiddling around and 30 minutes later I see what the problem. It's not the needle threader at all...it's the needle! I loosen the needle screw and push the needle all the way up to the proper height and the needle threader worked like a charm. Luckily I didn't do any permanent damage to the threader or the bobbin case.

I've spent two days fretting over a $10 piece of fabric. It's not the money. It's just that I love the piece of fabric and don't have anymore of it so I just had to make it work. I wound up cutting the entire thing apart and channeled "inner Sinatra" to get it back together again...and here it is...



Pattern Description: OOP McCalls 2254
Pattern Sizing: S, M, L
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like that the pattern only required 1 yard of fabric. What I disliked that on view A, the view I made, the neckline was huge leaving my bra straps for all to see.
Fabric Used: Slinky
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: Wide and high round back, FBA including adding a bust dart. I had to cut the entire top apart to alter the width of the front neckline. I also shortened it 2 1/2" because it was all the way down to my hipline.
Would you sew it again? Yes, it's super easy. Would you recommend it to others? Yes
Conclusion: If you have it in your stash give it a try!

7 comments:

  1. Your needle escapade sounds so much like something I would do it's scary!!! I love that top and can see why you would fret over just one $10 piece of fabric when it's that pretty. Slinky means hard to sew with!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! I need to rekindle my sewing mojo and get a cute top, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you figured out the needle problem and didn't end up paying $150 for repairs.Whew!
    That top is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh you crack me up!!! You wouldn't believe how often I do stuff like that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment about my pocket. I believe you, I probably will want to put them on everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cute top. I've done lots & lots of things like that before. I can spend the day telling goof stories.

    ReplyDelete