Pages

Sunday, May 1, 2011

On the Vogue 1250 bandwagon

Before I forget, congratulations Faye. You're the winner of the sewing theme cards. I probably won't be able to get them in the mail until the end of the week so be on the lookout for them next week. I have my surgery tomorrow morning so I won't be able to mail them any sooner.
I haven't been doing my usual amount of sewing for a couple of reasons. First I'm smitten with making greeting cards and second, standing at the ironing board is murder on my knee. Tuesday I go back to see the orthopedic surgeon to find out how soon I can get the knee replacement. Any amount of standing causes my knee to swell up larger than my breast. WTH. No need in putting off the inevitable.
Yesterday I cut out and sewed Vogue 1250.


After checking out what was up on Pattern Review, I decided that I should make some adjustments to the pattern before I began. I didn't want the drape to pull across the front nor did I want it too tight around the hips. I went a little overboard in my alterations. I wasn't feeling the fabric either. I'm considering this my muslin.


Husband and I both hated it until I added the belt. He loves the fabric. Me...not so much. Can I wear a black belt and nude colored shoes together?


I added a center back seam in the bodice with some additional width. For the next version I might add side seams to the skirt. I also added to the length of the bodice both front a back...bad idea. I guess I didn't need that but I'd rather have a garment that is too large than one that is too small. I added 3" to the skirt which I did need. I haven't hem it yet. 
This dress is super easy to sew but somewhat difficult to alter. I'm making it again because I love the drape. Might try to make it tonight.


I finally wore Simplicity 2684 to church today. My stylist (husband) didn't go so I took it on myself to wear it like this. 


He gave it the seal of approval after pointing out that he thinks the "shrug" looked a little "hootchie" and the hair a little to wild! What? I need a new stylist.

21 comments:

  1. You make me laugh- a "hoochie shrug!"

    I think you can wear beige shoes and a black belt, no problem. Your animal print muslin looks good in the pictures, but I understand that sometimes things just don't feel right. I hope you are feeling well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your dress both ways with and without the belt. Interesting that you added a back seam...that thought never occurred to me! I really like the shoes on your church outfit...and I hope all goes well with your surgery!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like you dresses... I hope your surgery goes very well. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dress looks great - I like it with the belt and the nude shoes look good! Good luck with your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I LOVE WINNING. Take your time getting to the post office, I do understand. Praying your surgery is a big success. I love the vogue dress belted. I got that pattern last week. What part of it did you do the alterations on. I made a vogue dress a few months ago and the instructions said "cannot alter bodice after construction has started", or something to that effect. They were so very correct. The bodice swallows and I cannot go back in to alter now. I'm thinking about taking the ENTIRE dress apart and cutting it a size smaller in the bodice. Wouldn't normally go through that much trouble, but I paid too much for the fabric to let the dress just adorn my closet. If you need my address, I will email it to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prayers for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both dresses are lovely. Love the nude shoes with the Vogue dress. A muslin...really? Love the shoes you wore to church today! May all go well with your surgery! God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL still trying to figure out how a shrug looks hootchie. The dress looks good with the belt and shoes. I just bought this pattern at the $3.99 Vogue sale at Hancocks this weekend and I hope my version turns out as good as yours. I hope all goes well with your surgery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love both dresses---they're really pretty. The print on the first is fabulous! I think I need to jump on that bandwagon. Great job Lady:) BTW, cute hair!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love those dresses! Fabulous! And I pray for you have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look great in both dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Both dresses are pretty! Praying for a quick recover.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I like both dresses. I will be praying for a speedy recovery and will miss you in Chicago.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is a great dress - I have a very similar Simplicity wardrobe pattern that I will make up soon. Hope your health will be restored.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty! Praying for your quick recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Praying for a speedy recovery! Hubby sounds like my DJ...I know a week is not going to go by without him saying "Is that what you are wearing?" lol
    I like both dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You know, I just love the animal print fabric. It looks awesome on you! I do pray you are feeling okay after your recent surgery and that all goes smoothly with your healing. I was so blessed by your generosity with the sewing cards. Thanks again. Green is my favorite color! I also love how precise you are with all the little details on the cards. You can really tell how much pride goes into making them!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love what you have done with this dress, these are just the alterations I need to make to make this dress work for me. And I don't think your hair is too wild, you look great. So maybe keep the stylist but don't pay attention all the time. Good thoughts on your post op recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Both dresses look good on you. Have a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I really like your fabric! I think is't really, really nice with those shoes too! You have the greatest shoes! Good Luck with your surgery!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Girl, you look fierce in V1250. And of course, you can wear a black belt and beige shoes.

    ReplyDelete