Pages

Sunday, March 7, 2010

McCalls 5896...Again!

I'm nearly finished with yet another pair of M5894. The fabric is a black brushed twill from my stash. Other than changing the zipper to the left side and double stitching the inside seam. I followed the pattern as it's written. I've found that I really sewing fly front zippers. I use the instructions that come with the pattern and have no problems at all. I spent several hours yesterday, combing through my embroidery designs to find just the right one. This is what I came up with. It's an Amazing Design from the Crest collection.


I wanted the embroidery to be subtle so chose to use black rayon thread to stich the design. After all the time I spent finding and sewing the design...I decided I didn't want back pockets. I think it would give the jeans a casual look that I wasn't trying to capture. The only problem came when I was trying to remove my pockets markings. I stopped where I was and threw them in the wash. Of course now I won't be able to finish them until tommorrow. I've been having some back problems and can't sit for long.

As I am always trying to improve the fit of my garments, I tried changing the shap of the legs. My thighs rub together at the top and down a few inches. Shouldn't the patterns I sew reflect my particular fitting issues? I moved my legs over about 3/8" and could see a vast improvement over the last pair I made.




As soon as I can I'll have a picture of me in the finished pants. Next up is a UFO from last year..

3 comments:

  1. That is a pretty pocket design. Maybe for the next pair!! It looks like you are well on your way to the perfect jean! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the subtlety (not sure if that's a word) of the back pocket. I think more of us jeans sewers need to do the matching top-stitching. The darkwash dressier jeans are almost all done with matching top-stitching. Hope you did up your nails today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you please expound a little more on the details of moving the leg over?

    ReplyDelete