Pages

Friday, September 4, 2009

First garment as a married woman! Butterick 5355

I took most of the week off from sewing. Was a little burned out from the wedding dress marathon but I'm back!
Butterick 5355


Pattern Description:
Misses' Top and Sash: Very loose-fitting pullover tops
Pattern Sizing:
XS (4-6) - XXL (24-26)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Yes
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Super easy
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like that it was fast and easy but still stylish. Beware--this top and especially the sleeves can best be described as voluminous!
Fabric Used:
Lightweight polyester crepe
Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made:
I made no pattern alterations. I did change the construction. I used french seams on the inside.
French seams
Instead of using 1/4" bias binding for the neck edge I used some foldover elastic that has been in my stash for years. It's from Birchstreetclothing.
Foldover elastic
Foldover elastic closeup
I used my rolled hem foot on the hem. I've come to the conclusion that I need more practice with it!
Rolled hem
To make the belt carriers I zigzagged over eight lengths of thread. To attach, thread through a large-eyed needle and knot on the wrong side. Machine stitch to seam allowance to secure.
Thread belt carriers
Instead of making a sash I used 1 1/2" grosgrain ribbon.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
Not sure but I highly recommend it to others as a fast and easy project.
Conclusion:
What do you think wear with leggings or a skirt?


9 comments:

  1. Sexy Mama on the floor. Girl don't make start breaking into song. You are working that blouse. I love it. As for the skirt and leggings question, I think it looks great either way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it with both the leggings and the skirt, too. The leggings make it more casual, but the skirt is a fantastic outfit for all kinds of occasions. I think it looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This top looks fabulous. I love those extravagant sleeves. I think it looks great with both skirt and leggings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Either way it's really cute. I agree with you on the rolled hem foot, I've some success but more distress with it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Watch out Beyonce, KMQ will grace the dance floor! I adore the looks you achieved with the leggings and skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tres'chic! Love it with the skirt. Where's the ring?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice! I agree with everyone that the top looks good with both leggings and the skirt, but I like the leggings look a bit better.

    ReplyDelete