The project I was going to work on with the polyester shantaung and the silk skirt redo got shelved because after I made the pretest garment I didn't think the jacket is quite what I wanted for the skirt. The value of a pretest can NEVER be discounted! I decided to use some Walmart polyester suiting from my stash instead. Yesterday I cut out the jacket and my TNT slacks pattern. As my time is limited, I pulled out all the stops. Remember this?
I've had it forever. I bought it brand new at a place called the Goodie Barn. They sold some of everything. I think they bought and sold manufacturer's castoffs. I was there looking for a cheap laundry tub and fireplace screen. I did find the fireplace screen but I also found this little beauty. It's great for fusing interfacing and the price was right...$25. Although it was about 20 years ago I still remember the feeling of having hit the lottery! It sure made fusing all the interfacing a breeze. So after cutting, marking and fusing the necessary pieces I moved on to the sewing machine. These are the steps I plan to follow:
- Sew all darts
- Sew all seams that don't cross other seams
- Press all seams seams opens and darts flat in proper direction
- Serge all visible seams
- Insert zipper
- Sew side seams of jacket
- Sew collar and lapel
- Press side seams and lapel
- Insert sleeves
- Sew waistband and press
- Mark and hem jacket, sleeves, and pant legs (by machine invisible hem)
- Final pressing
I'll post photos tomorrow. Wish me luck!