Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

McCalls jeans 5894

I finally got my Brother ULT back from service. It cost $145. Ten dollars was for the part, $129 was for the cleaning, $1.25 was for a new needle and the rest was for tax! I don't have a problem with paying to have my machine serviced but I have two issues with my local Brother dealer. First why, no matter what you take your machine in for do you ALWAYS--and I do mean ALWAYS--do you have to have the machine cleaned? Even if machine hadn't been out of the case since the last cleaning you have to pay for a cleaning! My other issue is the $1.25 for a single needle. You always have to pay for that too. I don't know about you but if I need machine needles (I won't for another 10 years) I buy them when they are 1/2 off the notions wall at JoAnns! I have got to find another dealer.

On a more positive note, I did finally start working on my jeans. So far I've only sewn the front pockets. I'm going to wait until I've sewn the side seams to sew the back pockets. I'm using a stretch denim and by sheer accident the cotton I'm using for the pocket bags has a small amount of lycra. So far all is going well with the pattern except that the coin pocket is just for show. I can barely get two fingers in it! If the pattern works out, I'll certainly redraft the coin pocket.

Lastly my computer is in for repair again. This time I hope they do it right. While I love my Blackberry I'd rather post to my blog from my desktop!
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

8 comments:

  1. Yay for jeans!! I love your pocket fabric - too cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great start on your jeans. I've got to master the fit on a pant pattern then I want to make a pair of jeans. I love the pocket fabric. Can't wait to see them finished.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your jeans are looking great so far! Yeah I share your concern with the frequent cleaning charges. You must have a fancy computerized machine? I haven't taken my new computerized Brother machine for cleaning yet but my other machines only cost about $65-$70 for cleaning. Maybe dealership prices are a little more. Yeah I don't blame your skepticism about that situation one bit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These jeans look amazing so far. I can't wait to see them when they are finished. I'm also glad you got your machine back, but I don't think you should have had to pay that much.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't feel bad I just spent $180 to get my ULT 2002 cleaned and the auto threader replaced (part was $16). Stinks

    ReplyDelete
  6. yea! You are finally getting around to the jeans, and boy do they look great so far. Great pockets.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't wait to see your finished jeans. This pattern is definitely on my list, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I buy the no-brand needles at Wal-Mart. Ten needles for two bucks, three different sizes. Then if I need special sizes, I buy'em 1/2 off at Joanns. Gonna have to buy size 8 needles soon for the christening dress I'm making for my new niece...

    And don't feel bad. I gave up on having my old Pfaff serviced, because while the local people claim to do Pfaff, they charged me $75 to tell me that I should give up and buy a new machine when all that was wrong was a missing screw!

    ReplyDelete