Pages

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Pattern Review - Butterick 5638

Pattern Description:
Easy Misses' fitted dress with belt and A/B, C, D Cup sizes
Pattern Sizing:
8-22 I cut a 16 through the neck, shoulder and armhole gradually out to a 20 at the hips
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think so, how about you?


Were the instructions easy to follow?
Very easy and straight forward.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I like the sleeveless style and the ruffled front. Of course you can't see the detail because of the fabric print! I disliked that the small dots (markings) on the side front and front pattern pieces did not seem to want to line up. It was very screwy but I channeled my inner Tim Gunn and made it work!
Fabric Used:
Cotton with a small amount of lycra from JoAnns
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I used the D cup pattern pieces and the only pattern alterations I had to make were to lower the bust point 1" and add 2" to the length.
This is absolutely the best I've ever installed an invisible zipper. This shot is after I'd wore the dress all day!To say I'm proud of it is an understatement.


After I was nearly finished, I decided it needed a lining. I did have to take the neckline binding loose but improvised on the front inset.


I used a very light-weight knit fabric from my stash for the lining and eliminated the armhole binding pieces.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I'll think I'll definitely sew this dress again. Don't know when but it is worth repeating.
Conclusion:
The reason I chose this fabric and style is because I found this belt on sale and just had to make something to go with it! I wore it to work today and got tons compliments. I felt very chic wearing it. Because of the high cotton content of the fabric, I say about 97%, the dress was totally "butt sprung" by the time I got home. This dress will have to be washed after each wearing to shrink the butt back into shape.!


14 comments:

  1. OK, just send me a list of all the patterns you plan to make this summer and I'll just buy them now. ;-) Love this dress! And that belt -- perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that pattern, it's on my inspiration board. I would never have imagined it made up in that print, but it is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful dress, awesome print and love the belt with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this dress on you. The belt is perfect for the dress.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the dress! You sure know how to rock it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another great dress! You are on a roll lately. It looks great with the belt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok, I love that you made a dress to match your belt! I do stuff like that all the time. This looks fabulous on you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great dress! I'll just send all my zippers I need put in to you and you can put them in for me cause no way do any of my zippers look that neat. I hope you make this in a plain colored fabric next so we can see all the details but I do love the pink on you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is really nice!! I love the fabric and the style of this dress! You did an awesome job on the zipper, I can't even see it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW..this turned out really nice! I love the print on the fabric and your belt is perfect with it! That is why I need to learn to sew because you can make everything to fit you perfectly!! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE a red/white combo and this dress is no exception you look marvelous.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have been making some fabulous dresses lately. I also bought this pattern on US buying binge. Our taste my be similar.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know you are one fierce sewing mama. Lol Love the dress. And that zipper is totally invisible. Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this dress! You are absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete