Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Memorial Weekend Sewathon Part 2 - Picture heavy

Here's the other two dresses I made on my Memorial Weekend Sewcation
Vogue 1221
Pattern Description:
Vogue Patterms American Designer Tracy Reese
Partially lined, pullover dress has short dolman sleeves, elasticized waistline and neckline with tie ends stitched hems and above mid-knee length.
Pattern Sizing:
8-24
I sewed a size 20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think it does but you can see much detail here


I plan to wear it off the shoulder


I threw on the green shoes because I thought it looked a little boring. I need a belt or something.



On the other hand there is nothing boring about this version.


 I like it with or without a belt. 

I don't really like it on the shoulders but maybe I just need to tighten the neckline elastic


With a narrower belt than first photos.
Were the instructions easy to follow?
The instructions were easy to follow but if I hadn't I don't think I would have gotten it together correctly
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern
I actually never noticed the pattern until I saw Melody's of Crazed Sewer's version.
Fabric Used:
The blue is Matte Jersey from Joanns. I'm not sure of the actual fabric content of the yellow and black but was visiting a sewing blog and the owner mentioned that an internet seller had this fabric. I bought it (over a year ago) and while I originally thought I would make a twinset out of it, I think it serves this dress much better.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
Beware. This dress is extremely short. I added 3" to the center front bodice gradually going to just 1" on the side seam to match the 1" added to the bodice back. I then had to straighten the center front to reach the fold so I just slit the pattern which exposed a nice "pie slice" which I filled with more tissue.

I added 4"to the skirt. I didn't line the blue version but lined the skirt of the yellow/black combo. I wanted the top to look the same as the bottom so I underlined the bodice top.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I've already made it twice so I probably won't sew this again year. I highly recommend it to others but caution that both the bodice and the skirt run extremely short!
Conclusion:
I plan to wear both dresses off the shoulder as I like the look better. I used the elastic piece that came with the pattern but think it needs to be shortened so that the top won't be so sloppy looking. Even on the pattern envelope the model looks as though her elastic at the neckline need to be shortened.
I wore the yellow/black dress Sunday and got sew many compliments I wanted to jump back and kiss myself! LOL

17 comments:

  1. You have been busy! These dresses are great. I love the fabric you used for the yellow and black dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The yellow and black version is so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE that black and yellow!!! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I fell in love with the yellow, black and white fabric when I saw it on Carolyn's site some time back. Tried to buy some straight away but it was sold out. weep. Your dress is simply stunning. Recently bought this pattern in a pattern buying binge while the Australia dollar is so high.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome! I have a panel of the black and yellow fabric and just can't bring myself to cut it. You are definitely inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it!! Especially the second one. V1221? It doesn't look like your dress.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Both versions are stunning! Your fabulous fabrics are just right for this style but I particularly LOVE that black and yellow fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You look so good in these dress! Your Memorial Day weekend was most productive in a GREAT way! Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seen that yellow and black fabric once before and I am in LOVE with it! This dress really is perfect for border prints.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The black and yellow dress is stunning on you. I love the shade of blue and print in the first dress too, but the black and yellow...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  11. She's baaack. Both dresses are TDF, great fabric choices.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Look at Mrs. Sassy:) The yellow/black/white dress is lovely! Love that fabric. You've been sewing up a lovely storm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Both dresses are stunning. Love them.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey! You mentioned that you make your composite framed pictures in Powerpoint, I tried, but all I can come up with is slides. Any tips???

    ReplyDelete
  15. Girl, you are rockin' those two outfit. Love, love the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi! I love your dresses and all your tips... I was just wondering if you did Vogue 1224 and not 1221... Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete