Pages

I love to sew

I love to sew

Monday, August 15, 2016

A post...Finally

Yes. It's me. You've probably wondered what was going on with me. I'm still here but just haven't wanted to blog. Even though I haven't been blogging I'm still sewing up a storm and all is well in my neck of the woods.

One project I've worked on this summer is a shirtdress. I wanted a well-fitting dress with style I chose McCalls 7380.


It was not until I downloaded this picture that I realize how out of proportion the skirt is relative to the bodice. That was the problem I had in sewing mine. I finally took 8" out of the skirt and got the fit I wanted. Below are pictures and my full review.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I particularly like the shaped hem. What I disliked is that there was so much fullness in the skirt. I cut off at least 8 inches in the side seam. I nearly scrapped this whole project and chalk it up as a wadder. In the end I'm glad I stuck it out.
Fabric Used:
Seersucker
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
First I made a 1" FBA adding it as a vertical waist dart. I added width to the back at the waist and added 1" to the length of the bodice and 2" to the skirt length. I omitted the fly button closure because I wanted my buttons to show. I added pockets to get it to the look I envisioned. Next time I won't add to the bodice length because it was hitting me at an odd spot although it did line up with my natural waist. I was able to sew a deeper waist seam to correct it.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
After all the work I did on the pattern I will sew it again. I can picture it in denim with the sleeves.
Conclusion:
Was a total pain in my neck but I love it especially with the pockets.


My dog can't help photobombing me!

Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Appleton #3

I told you'd there'd be more Appleton's to come. This is number three. It's fresh off of the sewing machine. I had to get a little creative with some of the pieces as I didn't really have enough fabric. I had to piece the ties together but intentionally cut the neck and front bands on the crossgrain. I also added sleeves bands that were cut on the crossgrain as well.


The photo on the right is more the true color. This fabric is from JoAnn's and has been maturing in the stash for a while! While the fit is fabulous, I'm not loving it right now because it's really giving me a "bathrobe" vibe. Maybe hair and makeup will make me feel better about it!  Off to do Christmas gift embroidery and up after that...panties, panties, and more panties!