Pages

Friday, September 27, 2013

Vogue 1329 Review

I'm still on my dress"kick." It's been a couple of years now so it's probably not a "kick" anymore. Although the fabric looks "Royal blue", it's actually a dark navy. I was trying to get to work and the photographer was working my "last nerve."


Pattern Description: Close-fitting lined dress has yokes, right front with pleats, back princess seams, and invisible zipper

Pattern Sizing: 8-24 After all my alterations mine was a size 18

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Exactly


Were the instructions easy to follow? Super easy

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I like the color-blocking and the front pleats. I dislike the lining pieces. The front lining pieces are princess seamed. That seam shows up on the front pleated pieces.

Fabric Used: Ponte from JoAnns. Not Ponte de Roma. I like Ponte but it gets "butt sprung" and I'm not a fan of that look on me.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: Oh the alterations! I added a bust dart to the pattern. No problems there but for some reason I couldn't get them at the angle I wanted. I forgot to raise the armhole so instead I sewed deeper shoulder seams and scooped out and widened the front and back neckline. The invisible zipper I put in looked like crap so I opted to omit it. Note to self: I've never been successful adding an invisible zipper in Ponte...don't try it again! I added 1 1/2" to the length. I would have preferred to add 3" but only had one yard of the white and that is the most length I could get. My hem is only 1" deep. I also had to take about a 1" dart at the center back neck because it gaped horribly. I'm really happy for the back princess seams because I was able to do some additional nipping and tucking to get a better fit. Finally I narrowed the skirt width at the hemline.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I'm pretty sure I'll sew it again.

Conclusion: Great dress to make for the coloring-blocking trend. BTW I made the dress to match the shoes. I know I'm not the only one to ever do it!


8 comments:

  1. Love your dress and the styling combination. I'm guilty also, I have certainly made garments to match favorite shoes...This is a popular pattern, I made it in a black and taupe Ponte from Mood Fabrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous! Love the color and style on you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices. Looks sharp, I gotta make this pattern:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful dress and love the shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soooooo pretty despite your obvious aggravation with the photographer. Love your color choice and the back seaming is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great fit and I can't see the lining seam in the photo. Your colors are just right and so flattering! Doesn't everyone start with shoes for inspiration?

    ReplyDelete