Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

The American Sewing Expo

I spent Saturday at the American Sewing Expo. I didn't take any classes. I mainly went because I wanted to meet Rhonda Buss. It was more than worth it. She was warm and pleasant and "she's got skills." She used a beautiful "stretch pleather" and faux fur fabric to make what I thought would certainly be the winner of the ASE "Project Runway-esque" challenge. I was sorely disappointed to find out she didn't win first place. I'm happy to say I was able to score three yards of the stretch pleather from Haberman Fabrics.

I was also glad to see several bloggers that I met at the New York Pattern Review last year. I met another very popular sewing blogger, who shall remain unnamed, that was quite the opposite of Rhonda. I found her to be very cold and standoffish and was very disappointed by her demeanor not to mention the garment she was wearing. Did you make that?? If so, why? How soon we forget where we came from. Maybe a class in public relations is in order...for her, not me!

I especially had fun talking to the staff at the Vogue,McCalls, Butterick and Kwik Sew booth. There I scored a couple of patterns and a fabulous "goodie bag."

At the Vogue Fabrics booth I broke down and bought two yards of fabric and three different colors of "Dylon" fabric die.

Other than what I mentioned above, the only other thing I bought was a fabulous herbal tea...and lots of it.

I've been attending the ASE for at least 20 years and this year was the most disappointing. The number of vendors is shrinking especially those that are garment sewing related. There are more and more embroidery, quilting and all things crafty taking it over. On the other hand if I were looking for a hard-to-find gadget, I more than likely would have found it there. I did contemplate the "surgical" seam ripper but on second thought decided I didn't want to amputate any of my body parts.

So there you have it. I didn't sew a single stitch over the weekend but I do have a bra cut out and ready to sew but I am too immersed in John Grisham's "The Racketeer."

12 comments:

  1. It's great you have the opportunity to attend and especially to meet Rhonda too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going to post this later, but I wore your bracelet all day yesterday. I told EVERYONE that it was my official trophy. Maybe I didn't win the contest, but I won so much more. That bracelet is going to go into a special little plexiglass box and be displayed in my dressing room as a constant reminder of meeting you and how you touched my heart. Thank you, thank you, thank you! Don't worry, the box will open so I can wear the bracelet as much as I can!! BTW, you made quite an impression on the gal at McCall's. She LOVED you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous of your weekend! Wish I could have seen all the wonderful gadgets and especially wish I could also have met Rhonda in person!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was great to see you again! You could have set up a stand selling the jewelry you were wearing--it was fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you had a great time and met Rhonda and Kyle. Meeting those two great bloggers and scoring that stretch leather was well worth your trip!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that you had a great time! Thank you for the re-cap.

    Rose in SV

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your energy!!! Do you give advice on fitting and alterations? Now that my daughter is 22 and wearing a 22 RTW I am at a loss when it comes to fitting her. It was so much easier to sew for her when she was 2 and had no chest or rear end! Could I email you???

    ReplyDelete
  9. It was great connecting with you at the Expo. Hopefully we can get together soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved bumping into you in the Haberman's booth! I told Rhonda that I vote we get a "meeting room" at the Hyatt next year so that we can shop the expo, but sew with our friends, then take dinner & drinks breaks! I've heard the same said about the "shrinking expo floor" from others, too. My favorite part has become reconnecting face-to-face with my internet sewing friends!

    ReplyDelete
  11. So happy you got a chance to meet the people worth meeting...forget about any others, they are not worth your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete