Pages

Thursday, September 5, 2013

A Sewing Mystery

While trying to locate some files on my external hard drive, I found papers I'd written while pursuing my degree. I came across this fictional short story I'd started writing but never finished. I don't know where it's going.  Read it let me know if you think it's worth finishing. TIA

........................................

As I sat down at my beloved Brother ULT sewing machine, it was with regret that I put the finishing touching on the outfit I would wear to one of my best sewing friends funeral. I still couldn’t believe that she was gone. Katherine Powell had committed suicide.
Just one week ago we had had our Thursday sewing outing. For the last five years Katherine Powell and I had gotten together every week to sew. We alternated between my home and hers to work on our latest sewing projects.
We first met at a local quilting shop. The shop had a monthly completion day that Katherine had attend for years before I knew her. The completion day concept was to take in any unfinished quilt and work on it to “completion.” I ventured into the quilt shop after seeing their commercial on television during a broadcast of Simply Quilts. I looked around and asked to be put on the monthly mailing list. After receiving a class flyer I signed up for completion day and Katherine and I became instant friends. I don’t know if it was because I was the only African American in attendance or because Katherine too, was something of an outcast sitting at a table off to the side and by herself when I arrived.
“Do you mind if I sit here?” I asked. 
“By all means,” she said.
“I’m Katherine Powell,” she said extending her hand.
“ I’m Sewphe Tucker. Nice to meet you Katherine,” I said shaking the hand she extended.
As I started to unpack my sewing equipment a hush came over the entire group. There was an outsider in the midst and I was it!
“Don’t mind them,” she whispered.
“They are snobs through and through,” she continued.
“There are about three or four cliques going on here and I’m only in one.”
Her brashness caught me off guard until she said, “I’ve got my own clique and I’m the only one in it! Wanna join?” she said winking.
“I don’t know,” I said. “My sewing may not be up to your standards.”
“If your skills aren’t up to my standards, I’ll teach you!” she said.
When she saw the sewing machine I was unloading she raised an eyebrow.
“You’re skills may not be up to par but you bring a $5000 sewing machine to a class? Who are you kidding?” she asked.
 I handed her twelve 8 by 8 inch embroidered squares.
“These are lovely,” she said. “Did you do them with that machine?” she said pointing at my Brother machine.
“Yep,” I said “but now I’m stuck. I don’t know where to go from here. I’m not really a quilter. I usually like to concentrate my energy on garment marking but I thought I’d try something different. Do you really like them?” I asked.
“Oh my, these are lovely,” she said.
“Hey everybody,” Katherine yelled across the room.

“This is Sewphe Tucker and she

11 comments:

  1. I am intrigued and would like to learn more about Sophie and Katherine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, you must finish this. I'm already asking why and what and all the other w words. The story showed up for a reason...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Please finish, I am so curious. What happened to her, why did she commit suicide?

    ReplyDelete
  4. YOU CAN'T LEAVE US HANGING LIKE THAT! You know me, if you don't tell it all, I'll fill in the blanks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes please finish this story, it has a really nice rhythm to it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree it needs to be finished! I want to know why thi happened to what appeared to be a great friend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Please, please finish it. I'd love to hear more about Sewphe and Katherine.

    ReplyDelete