Pages

Saturday, January 16, 2010

Journey into Jeans -- Part I



It was bound to happen. I've got to try my hand at making jeans. I stopped over at Patternreview.com and it seems that everyone is head-over-heels for Jalie 2908. After reading the reviews I just didn't think that it would be the best jeans pattern for my figure. The Jalie jeans are cut slim through the hips and thighs and that doesn't even come close to how I would describe myself. I decided to go with the above pattern because the description says they are below the waist without being low-rise and look as if they may be cut fuller through the hips and thigh and as with most PP patterns the instructions offer fitting tips. I also liked that the models  didn't look stick thin! I've already prewashed my fabric and lining and assembled my threads. I also pinned the pattern to the fabric. The only alterations I've made was to add 2 1/2" to the length and add 3/4" to the back crotch point. Although my measurements put me in a 20W, I'm going to cut the 24W. I can always pin-fit the excess out. I'm going to use two sewing machines besides my serger. I'll use one machine for assembling and the other for topstitching. Wish me luck.

10 comments:

  1. Good luck. I bought your pattern and some denim nearly 12 months ago and didn't proceed with the project. Will watch your progress closely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How fun!! I have made two pair from different patterns and love them both. I'll never go back to RTW jeans again! You're going to love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made another Palmer/Pletsch jean pattern and liked it. I have large legs that I doubt can stuff into those Jalie jeans. Just fit them to your figure, the way you like your jeans to fit. You'll be fine. And don't be surprised if you need to make a couple of pair to perfect the fit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am looking forward to seeing how this turns out...I have also not purchased the Jalie pattern because, like you, I just don't think that slim cut would work for me. But, I do have that McCalls pattern! Good luck on your jeans, and I'll be watching your progress! And great idea to set up a a separate machine for topstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish you all the luck you need....lol. I am sure you will have so much fun making them...Have a lovely one

    ReplyDelete
  6. I often walk down the isle where the denim is located. I touch just a little bit, look to see if they have stretch denim, and them keep it moving. I know I'll do it one day, maybe this year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck. I'm sure they'll turn out as great as all your other projects have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks like a great pattern - if ever I get around to making a pair of jeans I think that's the one I'd choose, the shape looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good luck. I'll look to you for encouragement when I attempt jeans. Please give us details on adjusting the crotch curve.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made the M5142 and they turned out well...being as it is a more classic cut jean I ended up having to take it in more for I like my jeans fitted. I have purchased the Jalie and have the fabric but haven't made those yet. Good luck and check my blog out for I posted pics and information on the process. The jeans post start in November and go through into December.

    Happy Sewing.

    ReplyDelete