Pages

Monday, July 8, 2013

DIY Shoe Refashion

The bedroom redo is coming along quite nicely. Yesterday the hubby and I (okay mostly the hubs) took out the night stand, mirror and dresser. He also shocked me by totally removing the carpeting and I mean all of it! The floor beneath the carpet is absolutely beautiful (that's it in the background of the pictures)! I'm glad I decided to get rid of it. So what does all of that have to do with a shoe refashion? Well of course we had to remover what ever crap was under the bed.



I bought the shoe (it was brand new) above at a garage sale nearly four years ago. Although they were super comfortable, I forgot to remove them when I spray painted some light fixtures. They were ruined. I'd forgotten all about them. Right before I was ready to drop them in the trash bag with the carpet strips, padding and other garbage...I had a light bulb moment.  So today after 18 holes of golf I stopped at Hobby Lobby and bought this...


There's got to be about a million (okay, a pound) of rhinestones in various sizes. I dug into my stash and came up with this...


and from there I came up with this...




I used the E6000 glue on the tip of the shoe and if you look closely it seemed to react with the backing on the rhinestones and created a "crinklely" texture to the reflection of the stones. The other glue allows a more clear reflection to the stone. I'm going to use the two glues on the other shoe as well to make sure that they have the same reflection. So far I absolutely love the result. I'll know for sure once the white glue dries. When it's totally dry it'll be clear as well. I think it's a great way to breath new life into a shoe that was destined for the garbage. I'll post pictures of the finished shoes later in the week.

3 comments: