Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2016

Metropolitan Urban Gypsy Blouse

White parties are all the rage in the Summer here in Michigan. I wanted something more than just plain old white and wanted something that would make a statement as well. My internet sewing pal Faye or at Faye's Sewing Adventure suggested the Hot Patterns Metropolitan Urban Gypsy Blouse. Thanks quite a mouthful for a garment name! While I'm not usually an independent pattern company fan, but I have had success with the Jalie Eleanore pant and with Cashmerette Appleton Dress. The Hot Pattern envelope describes it as

When you're in the mood to wear something pretty with a cool-girl vibe, reach for one of these beauties, perfect for light to medium-weight crisp or fluid fabrics, like crepe, voile, chambray, shirting, gauze, charmeuse or rayon: these also work gorgeously iin knits like silk(y) jersey, rayon, linen or modal. Loose-fit, pull-on, off-the-shoulder blouses have a neckband that fitted at the front and elasticated around the sides and back; the bodice has a gentle A-line cut with bust darts. Choose your favorite raglan sleeve length; 3/4 with a tied cuff, or just above the elbow with a deep elasticated cuff. Blouses finish with a narrow shirt-tail hem at the upper thigh with a narrow shirt-tail hem at the upper thigh, Chest patch pockets are optional; we've also included an optional internal stretch shelf bra as well as halter straps for easy wearing. You'll be amazed at how wearable these stunning blouses really are...tuck them into a high-waist tailored skirt or pant, wear them untucked over a skinny, flared or palazzo pant, or try them runway-style worn loose over a matching midi-length A-line skirt.

I don't totally agree with the description of how you could wear it, but to each his own.


I started out by tracing the pattern pieces onto Examination Table Paper which I get from my doctor's office. I usually ask for a roll about once a year. Tracing patterns is one of my least favorite things to do so one roll a year is more than enough.

I traced the size 20 which is the same size for the Big 4. I didn't want to take any chances with hiking up in the front so I made a cheater FBA by adding 1" to the length at center front. The pattern does have a slight hi-low design.

From there I followed the directions which were well written and although I did question the separate front band without elastic, I continued. That was a major mistake. Any seasoned sewer would know that adding a band with 1 1/2" wide elastic to only a portion of the band would create an obvious difference. HATED IT (in a sing songy voice). It screamed, "BECKY HOMECKY." By no stretch of the imagination did it look good. Luckily I had enough leftover fabric to cut one continuous band, insert elastic through the entire channel, attach to the blouse and voila'.

I used Confetti Dot fabric in my stash from Fabric Mart in silver and used JoAnn Fabrics Jet Set lining (only the front, back and band). The Confetti Dot was easy to cut but it did gum up the needle a little. As soon as I sewed the last stitch I chucked the needle in the garbage. I love the fit, the length and the comfort. I paired it with McCalls 6173 leggings. BTW I am wearing a strapless bra. The pattern called for 2 3/4 yards of fabric. I'm not sure I agree with that. I'll have to make it again to be sure. I highly recommend this top if you like or want to try the of-the-shoulder look.

5 comments:

  1. Glad to be of help, I'm sure that white outfit was a real party hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I'd just like to let you know that you and your blog have been such an inspiration to me over the years. I can't even remember when I came across it first, but I always came back to it for sewing and fashion inspiration. Three years ago I had a baby and no time to sew, so neglected checking my favourite sewing blogs...just came back and find that you haven't been posting for two years. I sincerely hope you are okay, nay, thriving. All the best wishes and THANK YOU for your blog! Yours, Ruth

    ReplyDelete