Pages

Monday, August 15, 2016

A post...Finally

Yes. It's me. You've probably wondered what was going on with me. I'm still here but just haven't wanted to blog. Even though I haven't been blogging I'm still sewing up a storm and all is well in my neck of the woods.

One project I've worked on this summer is a shirtdress. I wanted a well-fitting dress with style I chose McCalls 7380.


It was not until I downloaded this picture that I realize how out of proportion the skirt is relative to the bodice. That was the problem I had in sewing mine. I finally took 8" out of the skirt and got the fit I wanted. Below are pictures and my full review.


What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I particularly like the shaped hem. What I disliked is that there was so much fullness in the skirt. I cut off at least 8 inches in the side seam. I nearly scrapped this whole project and chalk it up as a wadder. In the end I'm glad I stuck it out.
Fabric Used:
Seersucker
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
First I made a 1" FBA adding it as a vertical waist dart. I added width to the back at the waist and added 1" to the length of the bodice and 2" to the skirt length. I omitted the fly button closure because I wanted my buttons to show. I added pockets to get it to the look I envisioned. Next time I won't add to the bodice length because it was hitting me at an odd spot although it did line up with my natural waist. I was able to sew a deeper waist seam to correct it.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
After all the work I did on the pattern I will sew it again. I can picture it in denim with the sleeves.
Conclusion:
Was a total pain in my neck but I love it especially with the pockets.


My dog can't help photobombing me!

5 comments:

  1. Looks great with the design changes. Can't wait to see it in denim!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a cute dress!!! I miss you from Periscoping ... FIESTA ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful fit & lovely curves! And your puppy is the sweetest thing ever! So cute

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had been eyeing this dress recently, and I appreciate the detail review of this pattern! However, your dress turned out beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very pretty dress. This really looks like a great pattern - thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete