Pages

Friday, August 8, 2014

Simplicity 2403 Another Golf Dress

I've added another garment to my golf wardrobe.


When this pattern was released several years ago I couldn't wait to add it to my stash. As always, after aging in my stash it was time to do the necessary patterns alterations and finally introduce it to to fabric and sewing machine. If you read my previous post, you'll know that I had to do quite the hack job on the bodice pieces. Luckily I hadn't waited until the last minute and realized I need to remove the 2 1/2" lengthening adjustment. I'd forgot to consider the "belt" as a part of the pattern. So the final adjustment was to remove the lengthening adjustment.


Pattern Description:
Misses' Dress with Bodice, Collar and Sleeve variations
Pattern Sizing:
4-20
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
I think so
Were the instructions easy to follow?
Most of the Project Runway pattern instructions are all over the place depending on what variations you decide to add or exclude. An an experienced sewer I didn't find the need to use the instructions at all.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I liked being able to color block my version
Fabric Used:
The bodice fabric is a linen and polyester blend while the skirt, collar and button band are a twill and polyester blend
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:


Where do I start?? I made a 1" FBA, and added 1" to the side seams for "just in case." In the end I did need them. I raised the front armhole curve 1" as well. There is a spot on sleeveless armholes that I try to always remember to raise as they always seem to expose way more front armpit than I think is attractive. I omitted the side zipper. I also omitted any interfacing as the twill was already quite crisp and I didn't want to feel as if I were wearing cardboard. Because I made this dress to play golf in, I shortened it two inches and was still able to turn under an inch and a half hem. I think that's pretty amazing since most patterns are uber short! The collar and stand are very well drafted and fit together easily. When I make it again I'll need to make the upper back wider because although it didn't necessarily feel snug it does look like it is on me and my dressform. My husband and I made my dressform out of duct tape and it is almost an exact replica of my body.


At some point in all of these alterations, I forgot to add the one inch "in case" to the front yoke and pocket. I wasn't going to be deterred by that goof so I  added a wedge and voila'!


I also added "tape" to the pocked curve to keep it was getting wonky.



Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I'll sew it again because I spent too much time of the alterations to only use the pattern once.
Conclusion:
Overall I really like the dress and will make it again it in different fabric. As far as a golf dress I really like it but the fabric choice was not the best. The twill was quite stiff and unfortunately it did get "butt spung." I added a center back seam because I thought that would help to combat the butt spring but it didn't work. By the end of golf I felt as though I were wearing a hula hoop. While the other golf dresses I made were made from knits had more of an A-line skirt, this one was more straight and the fabric woven. This one proved problemsome while teeing the ball up, removing the ball from the cup and when putting. Also as a woman of a particular age (57 in a week) my waist was stolen in the past year. I could have used the disguise of a belt. No doubt I'll wear it again because I still think it's cute. I didn't get a separate picture of the shoes I wore but I'll bet you can guess which pair I wore from the picture below.





11 comments:

  1. Great dress, and great red and white shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruthie. I am such a shoe whore and am not afraid to admit it! LOL

      Delete
  2. Well, hot damn! I thought I was the only person feeling that her waistline had been stolen (although I'm 3 years and a couple of months behind your "certain age"). I've been depressed about it and hardly sewing. Your golf dress is a great idea; I'd never have thought of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't be depressed. Just learn to make the alterations for it. My doctor has assured me that if I continue working out if I don't get my waist back I'll at least be healthier! It's one of the drawbacks of menopause.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if you were aware, but JoAnn's fabric is having a huge pattern sale. 40% off on McCall's & Burda patterns, and 5 for $5 on Simplicity. On the waistline thing, you are right, menopause plays a cruel joke on us in that area, and several others too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll probably check out the Simplicity patterns...as if I need more!

      Delete
  4. You made a great looking dress, and thank you for showing the alterations that were made...

    ReplyDelete
  5. rotfl -- somebody or something stole my waistline! I can certainly relate. I've grown fond of empire dresses and wear my belts higher. Love the shoe collection. I get the feeling you are the best dressed on the green.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, you have to go into the business of designing golf clothes. Ladies everywhere would like to look this cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well done!!! Enjoyed the info on the pocket save :)

    ReplyDelete