Pages

Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Graphic T-Shirt Dress

I'd ordered a piece of fabric from Girl Charlee in the Spring but have been spending most of my time golfing and sewing golf clothes. Over the weekend I decided I needed to dig into my stash and make something cute and simple that wouldn't be worn for golf. I chose McCalls 6747.


I think I actually ordered the fabric to make this dress.


Pattern Description:
Misses' Top and Dresses: Pullover, close-fitting top and dresses have button neck and front bands and stitch hems
Pattern Sizing:
XS-XXL
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
More or less
Were the instructions easy to follow?
I never even looked at them
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I wanted something that was simple that would let the fabric be the star. Although the pattern description calls this pattern close-fitting, it is anything but. It is extremely generously sized and could wind up looking like a sack or a house dress so beware! I usually make summer dress sleeveless so the short sleeve was a change and I like it a lot.
Fabric Used:
A graphic ITY print from Girl Charlee and an ITY knit from Fabricmart.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
I made my usual FBA and omitted the button placket. I also removed some of the ease in the graphic dress.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
I'm sure I'll sew it again but I do plan on adding the button placket.
Conclusion:
It was a great pattern choice for what I was looking for. I sewed both dresses almost entirely with the serger.  I'm glad I chose to use gray thread to sew both dresses. It blended it very well.




 

23 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks Carolyn. I'm flattered because you really know how to appreciate a dress!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thanks Candice. You've made a couple of cute dresses recently that got me inspired!

      Delete
  3. Love both dresses, I am a fan of abstract print and recently a liking to novelty print.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelia, the novelty print is really a change for me but I like it. When I wore it I got lots of stares with one woman absolutely gushing over it!

      Delete
  4. Very good dresses! You had done a good job! They must be very comfortable to wear right?
    beautiful dresses

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vivian you're absolutely right. Both dresses are extremely comfortable!

      Delete
  5. Hey Lady. I really like your new casual summer dresses, especially the cartoon fabric one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool and Comfortable - a good match- lovely summer dresses.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin beat me to it! Cool and comfortable - can't go wrong with that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L they are cool and comfortable but I did wear a full slip up under the comic strip dress. Thought it might have been a bit risque without it!

      Delete
  8. I just finished reading this blog. I found your blog via your Barbie Chronicles blog. Oh, I read your entire blog from the start in a few days. I also have a doll blog that I just started this month.

    What caught my attention is that you live in Michigan as I do (I live in Clarkston) and the fact that you are a breast cancer survivor. Today in the 3 year anniversary of my surgery for breast cancer. I had a bilateral mastectomy in 2011. I have had a host of health problems since then - including heart and spinal problems. I am currently recovering from extensive lower back spinal fusion surgery which has been no picnic!

    I think you are a beautiful, talented woman and I love your attitude. I also like to sew, but lately not much because of my health issues. The things I have done lately are either for my daughters cosplay (I make costumes for her and am teaching her to sew) and for my dolls. I often use existing clothing to make patterns and also like to make doll sweaters from socks.

    If you want to check out my doll blog, go to: adayinthelifeofmydolls2@blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful dresses and great fabric!! This is one of my favorite patterns, looks terrific on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a couple of great dresses! So much fun is that graphic print and the print of the jersey knit is nothing short of FAB!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great dresses! I bet people try to read your dress!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This pattern is a winner!! The dresses came out really cute too and I love the graphic print. I do believe in being cool and comfortable as well as stylish and you have all that going on.

    ReplyDelete