Pages

I love to sew

I love to sew

Monday, February 18, 2013

Bra Success At Last

Yep, you read it correctly. I have finally, successfully, completed my journey to make a partial band bra that fits like I want! After about six failures I got an amazing fit. Although I started out with the Elan 530 pattern, I eventually combined it with elements from the Anne St. Claire Queen Bra Elite, and tips from Beverly Johnson's Bra Maker's Manual to produce this beauty!








The only issue I do have with it is this


As a result of the stress caused by the straps, I have a little wrinkling in the upper cup. It's not something I want to tackle right now. I'm just really happy to have ironed out most of the fitting issues I've had in this journey. I can assemble a bra in a little under two hours. I wanted to be able to use my non-traditional fabrics to make bras and I have certainly accomplished that. Now I need to work on incorporating the same fabric into panties so that I can make matching sets.

All total I've spent about $250 on bra making supplies which includes $99 for the Bra Maker's Manual. That may seem like a lot it isn't. I normally spend $35 per bra. So for the cost of eight bras, I have enough supplies to make at least 26 underwire bras. It was not until I was making this bra that I thought I should have purchased some black elastics and underwire channeling. Duh. Oh well. Other than my husband you all are the only one's that'll be seeing my underwear! Before the week is out I'm going to try my hand at dyeing my own bra fabric and elastic. I've already purchased the Kool-Aid.

Hope you enjoy this post and if you have a solution for my upper cut wrinkling let me know. BTW do you recognize the fabric that I also used for one of my Infinity scarves?

17 comments:

  1. It really is pretty, but we want a fashion show!!!!! Congratulations on all your hard work that finally produced such a lovely piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rhonda you have got to be kidding. There is no reason you (my followers) should want to see my flabby midriff and back fat...LOL

      Delete
  2. I agree, your bra is lovely! Your hard work and dedication paid off. I have not gotten the courage to tackle a bras as of yet. It is on my list of items I want to sew.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on making it to bra nirvana land! Your perseverance really paid off, as this looks really good. I really like that fabric. Black elastic will definitely make it look even better. Woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray! Congratulations ob sticking with it and making a bra that fits you. One day I'll make my own too. Bras run me costs $50/per at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! While browsing the internet I saw that custom made bras sell for upwards of $300. Glad I can now make my own.

      Delete
  5. Congratulations! I know that's a great feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your persistence and diligence is certainly to be commended. This is such a beautiful bra. Would you like to make one for me???

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to go! Beautiful bra, and I know that is one are of sewing that will save you $$$.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your persistence paid off BIG TIME!!!! Very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am so pleased for you! It looks fantastic and to make you feel even better; in Australia to buy a good bra in a larger size would cost upwards of $70. I am waiting on my bra pattern to be delivered so I can try too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WTH. That's a lot of money. What bra pattern did you order?

      Delete
  10. Very cool! I have the supplies to make a few bras and panties but have been to scurred to try it yet. LOL.

    Thanks for the gorgeous inspiration. Your perseverance has paid off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just remember that each failure is actually a learning experience. If you stick with it you will eventually be successful.

      Delete
  11. Extremely well done --- LOVE that jazzy fabric! I just finished my second bra yesterday and the fit on this one was spot on right with no alterations --- I am completely amazed by that turn of events! I used the Pin-Up Girls Shelley pattern.

    My first bra was also a Pin-Up Girls pattern (classic band) and I had that same little wrinkle at the outer upper cup going on. I moved the strap tab centerward about 3/8" (using instructions from Beverly Johnson's Make and Fit Your Own Bra) --- and that relieved the tension on the strap and did the trick for me. No more wrinkle! Maybe our wrinkles have different causes/solutions, but I thought I'd share anyway :D!

    ReplyDelete