- Always prewash/shrink your fabric at least twice before starting. Doing so will help to ensure that your jeans still fit after washing. Also with stretch denim it gets lots of the excess dye out. Don't forget to prewash the pocket fabric as well.
- Hem your jeans 1-2" longer than you normally would. I didn't and two pair can only be worn with flats while one pair is just plain 'ol too short! Learn from my mistakes.
- While a size 18 needle is ideal, satsifactory results can be obtained with a size 16.
- Topstitching makes all the difference in how your final project will look. Set your topstitching length to 3-3.5 mm.
- Using three sewing machines saves lots of time--one for construction, one for topstitching, and one for serging.
Thursday, March 18, 2010
My Top Jeans Sewing Tips
I'd first like to say that I am by no means a god of jeans making but I have made either written or mental notes as I've made four pairs of jeans that I absolutely love. I'm sure I'll never buy jeans again. These tips are in no particular order so read through them all and decide whether or not any or all are of use to you.