Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Pattern Review Jeans/Pants Contest


Pattern Description:
Misses'/Miss petite pants in two lengths with individual pattern pieces for slim, average and curvy fit. I'm entering this pair into the jean/pants contest.
Pattern Sizing:
6-24 The pattern I actually used was made from a size 14 RTW pants and my best guest is a sewing size 18.
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?
Since I didn't use the actual pattern, only the pockets, I'd say my pants look somewhat different but I love them all the same



Were the instructions easy to follow?
I only used the instructions to construct the pockets. The instructions have you cut the rear pocket pieces of garment fabric which made no since at all to be so I didn't do it. I cut both of my pocket pattern pieces from lining fabric and only cut the pocket yoke from garment fabric.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?
I used a pattern I made using painter's tape from a RTW pair from 2010 so I already knew I'd like the fit.
Fabric Used:
I totally deconstructed a pair of pants from a few years ago. I've lost weight and wanted to experiment with placing a smaller pattern on top of the larger pair to make a smaller pair of pants. I'm pleasantly surprised that it worked like I expected. I purchased the fabric from Fabric Mart several years ago and while I did have enough of the fabric in my stash to start from scratch, I wanted to challenge myself with using a previously sewn pair of pants. I cut the fronts and back from the previous pants only using new fabric for the waistband and the pocket yoke. I used the previous waistband to cut facings for the hem because I wasn't about to cut the new fronts and backs long enough to accommodate a hem. The faux welt pocket piece was cut from remnants from the original pants.



  Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:
The only pattern pieces I used from the Simplicity pattern were the pockets, the fly and the underlap.. I love the pockets pieces as that are sewn right into the center front. It added a small amount of control and I will continue to use this piece in the future. To stabilize the pocket curve, I added piping because I couldn't find my twill tape. I love the effect. I decided to add slits to the inside seam hem for some added style. The waistband is from Simplicity 2860.


 Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?
This is going to be my go-to pants pattern. Although I'm using a pattern from 2010 I did have to remove one of the back waist darts, my hips are smaller which is an easy fix.
Conclusion:
I have no desire to reinvent the wheel, but I think I will try adding the pleats to my original pattern. If you're a member of Pattern Review please vote for me when voting starts



No comments:

Post a Comment