Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

Leather skirt refashion



Wednesday night I got an idea in my head that I just had to try. I've had this Isaac Mizrahi leather skirt for about eight years and will admit that now it is waaay too tight.

I started by removing the thread from the side seams and the rear waistband. I removed the lining from the back waistband and cut at the side seams leaving an additional one inch of lining fabric from the back lining on both sides.


I used the leather back to draft a paper pattern to use for the new back lining and new back fabric. For the fabric piece,  I added a foldover waistband and  1 1/4" hem allowance.

I had the black ribbed fabric in my stash. After cutting the new fabric back, I folded over and stitched both the waistband and the hem. I stitched the lining to the waistband and then stitched back and front lining pieces together. Next I cut and inserted the elastic into the back waistband.


I pinned the front over the back pieces at the side seams into the previously stitched seam. Without using any special needle, thread or sewing machine foot, I stitched the front and back together through the original stitching line.


It was actually very simple and came out exactly like I envisioned.



I'm sure I've seen this look in RTW but I think it was a pair of jeans. Although I don't have a photo of me in my newly refashioned skirt, it is a perfect fit and now we get lots of wear.

7 comments:

  1. What a great refashion, you may have to start calling yourself the refashion queen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea!! I think this look is very trendy.
    And congrats on the new job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME re-do! This was definitely a skirt to re-work and not get rid of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh - this is inspiring! I have great admiration for a woman who can take something wonderful but 'not-quite-right' and turn it into something even better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm confused...so all the leather is gone now? At any rate, I sooooo wish I had your skills! Kiah

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, you know I love a refashion project. Here you have put good leather to use again. Two snaps up!
    C

    ReplyDelete